Tips for trading players
1. First off nothing is more important than selling your offer. You may need to do some field work initially to be successful. Instead of trash talking other owners for acting a fool, play the good guy card and get in their good graces. When you get them to trust you, pull the carpet out from under their feet. Trash talking is fun, but not as fun as winning.
2. Sniff out the homers in your league. Usually right at the start you can identify one because of their team name or logo. Don’t assume they are idiots, do a little sucking up and try to sell them a hometown player, at a price of course.
3. Many of the sites you play at, once a trade has been accepted and is in the voting phase, if you cut a player in the trade the trade becomes null and void. This can come in handy when trying to find a better deal. Always include a player you are willing to cut in the deal. If the deal is accepted you can shop the “main” player in the deal to other owners and maybe you just might get a better deal. If you do get a bite you can void the original deal by cutting the stiff.
4. Always get the other owner to offer the trade. Work out the trade with private messages or e-mail and ask him to offer it to you. This way if you are clearly raping another owner’s team and other owners start complaining you can email them back and say “they offered it to me, how could I say no”. This will help you from being the league target.
5. Accept the trade at the point of the least owner activity during the week. If you accept it between Saturday and Tuesday you have to assume that most owners are setting lineups and checking scores which increases their chances of noticing the trade and voting against it. If they don’t see it, they can’t vote no. A non-vote is as good as a yes if majority rules.
6. If the commissioner has the ability to approve a trade regardless of how the league votes send them an e-mail explaining why it should be accepted. You might want to send an email finding out what their criteria is for approving trades prior to pulling off a deal so you can call them on it if they vote it down.
If you are really evil….
Get your girlfriend or buddy who has no interest to join the league and plunder their team throughout the season, if you can live with yourself.